Vibrio parahaemolyticus is found on sea foods, and requires the salt environment of sea water for growth and is very sensitive to cold and heat. Proper storage of perishable sea foods below 40 degrees F, and subsequent cooking and holding above 140 degrees F, will destroy the organisms. Food poisoning caused by this bacterium is a result of insufficient cooking and/or contamination of the cooked product by a raw product, followed by improper storage temperature. It is a major problem in Japan where many sea foods are consumed raw, such as Sushi. But it can be controlled with proper cooking and refrigeration. Symptoms of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain appear about 12 hrs. after ingestion and last 2-5 days. Sushi, anyone?